Take the controls of a “Big Apple” railroading classic with the Long Island Rail Road M3 electric-multiple-unit (EMU) for Train Sim World® 2!
During the late 1960s and early 1970s in a major fleet renewal program, New York’s Long Island Rail Road, with funding from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, purchased 770 M1 EMUs constructed by Budd and General Electric. Christened Metropolitans, the M1s immediately became the workhorses of LIRR electric operations. With its business expanding and its electrified trackage being extended, in 1984-1986, LIRR and MTA returned to Budd to acquire 174 similar M3 EMUs.
LIRR’s M3 cars stretch 85-feet in length and are constructed of stainless steel. The cars operate on D. C. current from LIRR’s third-rail system and are powered by four 160-horsepower traction motors riding in General Steel GSI trucks. The versatile EMUs, built in two-car “married pairs,” operate at speeds up to 80 mph (129 km/h) on the LIRR.
Dressed in yellow, gray, and silver, the LIRR M3 and M1 EMUs have become railroading classics and while the M1s were retired in 2007, the LIRR M3s soldier on and are expected to remain in serve for a number of years to come.
And now you can experience the challenges of operating the memorable LIRR M3 EMUs on Train Sim World® 2’s Long Island Rail Road route!
Please note: Train Sim World 2: Long Island Rail Road: New York - Hicksville is required, as a separate purchase, in order to utilise the content featured in this add-on. As this is part of the Preserved Collection, features remain as they were in the original release.
- Long Island Rail Road M3 2-car EMU
- Accurate, true-to-life performance and handling
- Highly detailed, feature-rich, driving cab with accurate true-to-life performance and handling
- Authentic and detailed sound recordings, recorded from the real locomotives
- Includes three engaging scenarios and an interactive training module for Long Island Rail Road
- Operable in Timetable Mode on Long Island Rail Road
- Powered by Dovetail Games’ proprietary SimuGraph® vehicle dynamics engine and Unreal Engine 4® technology