Inquest Opened Into Death of Struck by Train at Hartford Station
An inquest has been formally opened into the death of a 61-year-old man who was struck by a train at Hartford railway station.
Peter Timothy Chambers, from Lymm, died on January 28. Proceedings to examine the circumstances surrounding his death began at Warrington Coroner’s Court on Wednesday.
The court heard that Mr Chambers had been discharged earlier that same morning from The Brooker Centre, the mental health department at Halton Hospital in Runcorn, where he had been receiving care since December 12. Shortly after leaving the facility, he went to Hartford station and stood on the tracks, where he was hit by a train.
A coroner’s officer told the hearing that the death was considered to be from an unnatural cause, prompting the requirement to open an inquest. The officer also asked for proceedings to be adjourned to allow further enquiries to take place ahead of an internal case review scheduled for May 11.
Area coroner for Cheshire, Victoria Davies, agreed to adjourn the matter and set a provisional date of June 19 for the full inquest. She said:
“Given the circumstances, there is a reason to suspect an unnatural cause of death. I therefore formally open an inquest into the death of Peter Timothy Chambers and adjourn for further work to be completed for an inquest on June 19, 2026.”
Image: Network Rail




